Senior Experienced Mechanical Engineer
InnoTecUK is a dynamic and growing robotics design and consultancy company based in Cambridge, UK. We are active in a number of UK and EU funded R&D projects and developing innovative mobile robots for niche and challenging operational environments. Examples include:
- Climbing robots for non-destructive testing in hazardous environments such as off shore wind turbines, reinforced concrete structures and oil tanks full of oil
- Underwater inspection of risers in off shore oil and gas installations
- Mobile manipulator robots for collaborative human-robot scenarios such as construction sites
- Assistive wearable exoskeletons for supporting daily living activities of the elderly
- Condition monitoring of aerospace and rail structures and systems, etc.
We are looking for self-motivated and experienced mechanical engineers with strong practical competencies to accelerate the impact of our work in new and challenging real-world application scenarios. You will be responsible for developing and/or researching mechanisms and mechanical components for robots and sub-systems with a focus on locomotion of mobile robots including climbing applications using different adhesion technologies (magnetic and vacuum suction). This is a fantastic opportunity to join one of the UK’s premier established SMEs (set up in 2009) which is currently focusing on hazardous and now also evolving to new emerging service robot domains. You will be working in the R&D technical team specialising in detailed electronic, mechanical, software and systems design to meet emerging regulatory requirements especially for close human-robot collaboration applications.
- Contribute to and/or lead R&D project teams to design and develop needed optimised mechanisms and mechanical engineering solutions for the real-world automation problems being addressed
- Support technical developments as needed and produce documents, presentations, project plans, etc. as required
- Test and validate designs/ solutions developed
- Troubleshoot a wide-variety of technical and non-technical issues which might occur and the necessary remedial steps needed in the various sub-systems of the robots
- Collaborate with various teams to maintain coherent approach to robot system development within the company and in the external partnerships
- Collaborate with partners as needed for progressing project work plans, attending meetings, etc.
- Excellent first degree in Mechanical, Mechatronics or related discipline
- Masters or PhD degree in Mechanical Engineering or Robotics or significant industrial experience of development of robots and/or autonomous vehicle systems
- Significant experience of robots and robotic systems design covering as many phases of the full robot design cycle covering the following parts:
- formulating design specifications via detailed modelling and simulations and engagement with end users
- performing conceptual designs to identify best option to pursue with experimental testing by taking into account a wide variety of design constraints and requirements. These include adhesion and locomotion mechanisms, tasks to be performed, environmental conditions, energy usage, materials, thermodynamics, technology readiness levels and desired goals
- performing detailed design of concept option selected
- Build and test alpha prototype sub-systems and full robots.
- Detailed knowledge and experience of robot kinematics and dynamics analysis and design
- Experience in designing robotic systems (articulated mechanisms, manipulators, end effectors, grippers, etc.)
- Expertise in Solidworks (main software used) or similar and deep understanding and experience of designing suspension and locomotion systems for mobile platforms
- Expertise in creating 2D drawings for manufacture (DFM) to ISO 8888 (Old BS 308).
- Performing structural analysis (Solidworks simulation, ANSYS and Workbench is required).
- Experience in part manufacturing (3D printing, cooperation with subcontractors responsible for mechanical machining), material selection, and tolerances to produce most suitable and cost effective solutions
- Knowledge of using Gazebo simulation to test robotic designs in virtual environment is a plus.
- Knowledge of specific applications sectors would be an advantage, e.g. NDT applications, human biomechanics, robot safety regulations, medical robots, wearable exoskeletons, etc.
- Strong communicator (English), additional language skills are welcome
Competitive salary based on merit and reviewed annually
- Company Pension Scheme
- 25 days annual holidays plus public holidays